Friday, February 27, 2009

Girls and Boys

I am proud to say that my 25 month old son can readily distinguish the difference between boys and girls without having to get into the "parts" discussion. I did not know HOW WELL he knew the difference until last night while giving him his bath.

Usually these conversations take place in the bathroom, as one might imagine, but oddly enough this one was not sparked by the usual questions about "winkies" or "pee pees" or anything like that and frankly looking back on it, I can't really remember what sparked it other than me saying "you are a dirty baby boy" as I poured clean water over his head washing the shampoo out. He responded with some form of acknowledgement that he was a boy. That got me thinking, this might be a good time to see what he knows.

The conversation went like this:

Me: "Quentin, is Mommie a girl or a boy?"
Quentin: "a girl"
Me: "Good, your right! What about Daddy, is he a boy or a girl?"
Quentin: "a boy"
Me: "Great! What about Luke?"
Quentin: "boy"
And it went on and on, I asked about Izzie a little girl in his class, "Mommy Shalkham" (also known as Anna), Kevin, Clair, and Buppy -- he got them all correct! I was so impressed.

Then I asked: "Quentin, what is Mimi?"

He responded: "Mimi is a grandma"

Moral to this story: Ask a stupid question get a SMART answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment chumpee!